In the design of your website, you can find so many styles and directions: from classy to minimalist, from playful and vibrant to sleek and modern. Although your final look and sound will reflect your personality, working line, and brand image, specific simple rules are still applicable.
Excellent web design feeds into your user experience and functionality while being easy to understand at first glance.
DigWeb can help you create the best website for your business, here are some tips for creating a great site for web designers!
Web design tips for an outstanding website
Keep your homepage tidy and free of clutter
The homepage of your website should instantly communicate your core message. We barely read every word on a webpage, after all. Instead, we quickly scan the page; pick keywords, phrases, and images. With these recognized patterns in mind, it is easier to cater to emotions than to count words.
The fewer site visitors need to read, click or remember, the better they will be able to process and evaluate your content. By designing to reduce attention span, users are more likely to do what you intend to do.
- Hold relevant information above the fold: Users can understand what the website is all about as quickly as possible, without having to scroll or press.
- Space your contents: use whitespace between the elements. By leaving some areas blank, you will give the design a much more spacious, well-balanced feel. As for your email, write in bite-sized, readable lines.
Visual hierarchy is important
Hierarchy is an essential architecture concept that allows viewing the content transparently and efficiently. When using the hierarchy properly, you would be able to carry the attention of site visitors to those page items in order of importance, beginning with the most critical component.
- Size and weight: showcase your top items, such as your brand name and logo, by making them more prominent and more visibly noticeable. Readers tend, of course, to gravitate first to large and bold titles, and only then to move to a smaller paragraph text.
- Element placement: Use the right layout of the website to guide your visitors in the right direction – e.g., you can place a significant call-to-action button at the very centre of the screen or put your logo on the header.
Once you have established a clear hierarchy for your information, readers can’t help but unconsciously follow the breadcrumbs you left for them. Then apply colour, contrast, and space for further accentuation, keeping in mind what attracts the most attention and making sure it is always intentional.
Easy to read website content
Readability refers to the ease in recognizing words and phrases. When the readability of your site is high, users will be able to scan or skim-read effortlessly through it. This way, the taking of knowledge is effortless.
Achieving website readability is relatively easy; try the following main rules:
- Contrast is key: adequate contrast between your text colour and the background colour is necessary both for readability and for website usability. While your website would probably reflect your company colours, make sure that your elements are appropriately contrasting.
- Big letter size: Many people are unable to use smaller fonts. For web design, your body text should remain at least 16pt, as a typical thumb rule. This is a good place to begin, but keep in mind that this number depends entirely on your site fonts.
- Font type: Typography offers a wide variety of fonts. You can choose between serif fonts (with little projecting lines at the ends of the letters, like Times New Roman) and sans serifs, which means “without serif.”
You want the customers to figure out quickly what they’re looking for. A site with easy navigation helps search engines to index your content while significantly improving user experience. This is the only way visitors can search and explore their items from their website. It must be simple and intuitive, therefore. When creating your layout, ensure that easy navigation is a priority.
- Offer any vertical navigation: if the site has a long-running range, such as a one-page website, use the anchor button. Viewers will quickly switch to any part of the web with one click. Another choice to remember is the ‘Back to Top’ button, which takes users to the top of the page wherever they are on your web.
Focus on creating a mobile-friendly site
All users to your site will be able to enjoy your professional website at its finest, no matter what platform they’re using. Place yourself as a user and check every tab, user action, and button on your site mobile app.
The cleaner and less confused your Mobile web site is than your desktop version, so you can minimise page characteristics and upgrade certain assets such as the menu.
Search Engine Optimisation
If you want to build a good online presence, you need to create a website that can be found.
This begins with the development of an SEO strategy that takes into account the search terms that your buyer and audience would be looking for.
These strategy terms should include the creation of content that is relevant to the needs of your visitors. Photos, forum posts, and e-books are only a few examples of material that can do this.
Make sure you’re not getting too sidetracked with the endless content options that you can rank for. Next, define the right keywords that your market is looking for so that you’re not drawing so many guests who will never turn to your company, let alone your deals.
Use of White Space
White space provides a more natural interface, displays more plainly the first results, and catches the interest of consumers. If the website interface is weak, it would be difficult for users to grasp what the website wants to convey.
A good practice is to make sure there is enough space between words and segments. This makes it easy to understand. Also, reduce the number of concept elements. If the interface components are so numerous, the focus of the customer may be scattered. Enhance the user experience using white space to help users to locate the details they need quickly.
If you aim to become a web designer, log on to Blue Sky Graphics for top of the line online graphic and web design courses.